I wrote a little comic like this back in Ulduar when one of the talents was going to allow Rake to crit, and on the PTR the rogue QQ was overwhelming so they rolled back the changes, I feel it’s pretty applicable today.
This is quick summary of the changes that have occured in 4.0.6 and are currently live on the PTR realms [as of this posting 5pm EST 1-14-2011]. The following is just a quick skimming and extraction of druid related nerfs [mostly] that can be gleamed from the current PTR.
# The night elf racial trait Shadowmeld can now be used while shapeshifted.
# The tauren racial trait War Stomp can now be used while shapeshifted.
# The worgen racial trait Darkflight now has a 2-minute cooldown, down from 3, and is no longer on the global cooldown. In addition, the movement speed bonus now stacks with existing bonuses, but cannot be activated while Sprint or Dash is active (and they cannot be activated while Darkflight is active).
* Barkskin is no longer dispellable.
* Entangling Roots now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
* Healing Touch is now trained at level 78, up from level 3.
* Hibernate now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
* Lacerate damage has been reduced by approximately 20%.
* Mangle (Bear Form) weapon damage (at level 80+) has been reduced to 235%, down from 300%.
* Mangle (Cat Form) weapon damage percent (at level 80+) has been increased to 460%, up from 360%.
* Maul damage has been reduced by approximately 20%.
* Moonfire mana cost has been reduced from 18% to 9%.
* Mount Up: This guild perk now applies to Flight Form and Swift Flight Form as well.
* Nature’s Grasp now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
* Nourish is now trained at level 8, down from level 78.
* Omen of Clarity can no longer trigger from helpful spells (aka heals), unless the Restoration talent Malfurion’s Gift is chosen.
* Prowl is no longer broken by enemies using Demoralizing Shout or Demoralizing Roar.
* Rake damage has been reduced by 10%.
* Rejuvenation is now trained at level 3, down from level 8. In addition, its mana cost has been reduced from 26% to 16%.
* Rip damage has been reduced by 10%.
* Shapeshifts: Entering or leaving a shapeshift no longer cancels root effects. It continues to cancel movement slowing effects.
* Shred weapon damage percent (at level 80+) has been increased to 450%, up from 350%.
* Skull Bash’s lockout time has been reduced to 4 seconds, down from 5.
* Soothe is now instant cast, down from 1.5 seconds.
* Worgen and troll druids now have new art for Swift Flight Form.
* Talent Specializations
+ The Shooting Stars buff duration has been increased to 12 seconds, up from 8 seconds
+ Sunfire mana cost has been reduced from 18% to 9%.
+ Total Eclipse (Mastery) benefit from mastery increased by approximately 33%.
+ Typhoon mana cost has been reduced by 50%.
+ Wild Mushroom is now instant cast, down from 0.5 seconds. In addition, the radius of detonation has been increased to 6 yards, up from 3, and damage done increased by 15%.
+ Berserk (instant Mangle proc) now has a new Spell Alert identifier. In addition, Berserk no longer breaks Fear or makes the druid immune to Fear.
+ Infected Wounds now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
+ Pulverize weapon damage percent has been reduced to 80%, down from 100%.
+ Empowered Touch now also affects Regrowth. In addition, after Tree of Life is no longer active, this talent will only refresh the most recently cast or refreshed Lifebloom, and will not refresh other copies of Lifebloom.
+ Natural Shapeshifter has been reduced to a 3/6-second increase to Tree of Life’s duration, down from 5/10.
+ Nature’s Bounty no longer affects Swiftmend, but now has a new effect. When the druid has Rejuvenation on 3 or more targets, the cast time of Nourish is reduced by 10/20/30%.
+ Symbiosis (Mastery) benefit from mastery increased by approximately 16%.
+ Tree of Life duration has been reduced to 25 seconds, down from 30.
+ Wild Growth healing has been increased by 30%, and the cooldown has been reduced to 8 seconds, down from 10.
o Glyph of Entangling Roots redesigned. It now reduces the cast time of Entangling Roots by 0.2 seconds, rather than making it instant cast.
o Glyph of Regrowth now causes the heal-over-time effect to refresh itself on targets at or below 50% health, up from 25%.
o Glyph of Wrath now increases damage done by Wrath by 10% and no longer requires Insect Swarm on the target.
You can of course find the full list of changes that will be effecting your class here.
Alright, lets start off with the basics of this patch and break this down into things that were nerfs, things that were bugs, and things that actually kind of cool. I’m the kind of guy who likes to hear the good news first, so lets start with that.
The Glyph of Wrath is just a flat 10% damage increase now, which is of course what Prime Glyphs always are, and it also no longer requires that Insect Swarm be on the target. The Glyph of Regrowth also technically got a buff as it now refreshes at 50% rather than 25%.
The Mastery for Boomkin’s and Trees has both just been flat increased to make the stat a more favorable one for those classes [as it stood Mastery was pretty much useless for Boomkins]. Wild Growth also got a nice pick me up with a shorter cool down and more healing.
Wild Mushrooms got a buff to its damage radius, amount of damage done, and it’s now instant cast. Sunfire and Moonfire’s mana cost was dropped and the shooting stars buff’s duration was made longer. Typhoon’s mana cost was reduced by 50%.
Rejuvenation’s mana cost has been reduced, and Mangle and Shred’s damage has been buffed. Finally barkskin is no longer dispellable and Soothe is instant cast.
The Tauren and Night Elf Racials can now be used while shapeshifted and Darksflight now stacks with the other movement effects. Healing Touch and Nourish switched places. Nature’s bounty now has some strange little effects in that it lowers the cast time of nourish if you have rejuvenation on 3 or more party members.
The guild Mount up Bonus now applies to flight form, and the Worgen and Troll flight form are now up on the PTR.
Rip, Rake, Pulverize, Maul, and Lacerate have all been nerfed and all of our various non damage dealing debuffs have been capped at 8 seconds long in pvp. We can now be Rooted and shapeshifting will not break it. Tree of Life form is now shorter, period, all the talents relating to it and the ability itself are now shorter.
The Lockout on skullbash has been brought down by 1 second [how long that the spell keeps them from casting a spell in the same family]. Omen of clarity can no longer be used for healing spells by anyone except Resto druids.
A few things, the Bleed Damage nerf could have been seen from miles away, and anyone in their right mind could probably have predicted that was going to happen. To compensate they attempted to buff Shred and Mangle. This was to keep Feral druids from doing too much damage in PvP via bleeds, while still trying to keep our DPS stable during PvE.
The removal of our ability to shift out of Rooting is pretty irritating. A lot of people are surprised because this has been pretty much the core of Druid PvP: being the slippery bastard. Now, I guess after years of QQ from the other 9 classes [5 to be exact]. This is probably the single biggest change to the druid class since the addition of Trees and Boomkins in Burning Crusade and Late Vanilla. Now, they wanted to do this for a few days during the Beta, but apparently that was pushed back or simply dropped at some point [I think the change was going to make it completely worthless for movement impairing effects as well]. In truth I just want to see if this one sticks or the collective QQ of the druid community actually pushes this one back into the closet. I’m not really sure what core ability to compare it to, a lot of have said it’s like a rogue without stealth, but I’m really not sure. I don’t think it’s quite that major, but it is kind of like removing one of our 4 legs.
I don’t want to speak too much on the Boomkin and Resto changes as I didn’t really get a lot of chances to play those, and I’m not really confident that I could give a good analysis. I will say that after the Swipe nerf, it is a little disheartening to think that Blizzard thinks Bears are doing to much damage on single target too. The running theory I have heard is that they want mangle to compensate for this loss in damage from maul and lacerate. The Beserk no longer breaking fear has to come from some deep down hatred in the Warlock community of anything that can break their CC. I never really saw it as all that big a problem, and I think it’s really just an overreaction to people now realizing that feral DPS was a viable PvP spec [as it did fine during the 3.x when no one thought Feral DPS was good in PvP]. Now that we were a credible threat to clothies and their fear mechanics, people suddenly realized we had a free trinket for that, and that’s just not going to fly in the “NOTHING SHALL BREAK FEAR” camp.
- Fungal growth duration has been increased to 20 seconds, up from 10. In addition, it should now be much more responsive when detonating Wild Mushrooms.
- Moonkin Form now grants 15% damage reduction instead of increased armor.
- Starfall will no longer strike targets that are not in combat and will now drop stars at a slightly faster rate.
- Wild Mushroom is now instant cast, down from 0.5 seconds. In addition, the radius of detonation has been increased to 6 yards, up from 3, and damage done increased by 30%.
- Disentanglement (new specialization): Causes shapeshifting to remove roots in addition to snares.
– courtesy MMO Champion
Ok, a few things to note here, a buff that Starfall has needed for a long time [it doesn’t hit things not in combat], meaning it won’t be pulling extra mob packs. There is yet another buff to wild mushrooms making me think that Blizzard REALLY wants you to use that spell. I’m guessing most druids like myself feel the spell is terribly gimmicky and the only time we can even think about using it is PvP, and Blizzard is upset because they wanted it to really be used elsewhere.
You’ll notice that the there is now a change so that Restoration Druids are slippery in PvP again, I assume there was just enough QQ to make this possible, making it look like Blizzard wants Resto to be the “Druid PvP Tree”… for the 3rd expansion running.
- Druids previously unable to learn Nature’s Grasp will be able to learn that spell now.
- Rejuvenation now consumes 16% of base mana, down from 26%, but still requires 26% of base mana in order to be cast.
-Courtesy MMO Champion
So, the nature’s grasp thing is just a bug fix, but the Rejuvenation thing is odd. If I’m reading this correctly it means that you’ll need at least 26% of your base mana available to you in order to cast the spell, but it will only consume 16% of your overall base mana leaving you with 10% of your base mana. I guess that makes sense… even though i have no clue what the logic or reason behind that particular idea was.
- The act of shapeshifting now frees the caster of “movement slowing effects” instead of “Movement Impairing effects”.
- Wild Mushroom detonation damage has been increased by 13%, from [ 747 to 904 ] Nature damage to [ 845 to 1022 ] Nature damage.
- Fungal Growth now lasts 20 sec, up from 10 sec.
- Moonkin Form no longer increases armor contribution from items and reduces all damage taken by 15% instead.
- Typhoon now costs 16% of base mana, down from 32%.
I am honestly confused on this one. If I’m reading this right, Shapeshifting is being further Nerfed [I think I’m reading this right], with it now only removing slow effects [I think Hamstring, Chains of Ice, and One of the Rogue poisons] are actually considered slow effects (I’m not really sure, WoWwiki was not useful). If anyone knows what that actually means feel free to post in the comments.
As for the other changes, I think they can pretty much be summed up with “PLEASE OH GOD OH GOD USE THOSE MUSHROOMS”.
Update: Jan 31 2011
- Enrage will now properly increase the amount of damage taken by the druid.
- Force of Nature and Wild Mushroom can now be cast correctly even if the target is on a different height of terrain from the druid.
- Rejuvenation is now trained at level 3, down from level 8. In addition, its mana cost is now 20% of base mana.
Druid (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Racial Flight Forms
Worgen and trolls should both be getting new Swift Flight Form models this patch, even if that’s not the case on the current PTR build. We have no current plans to update the models of the tauren and night elf Swift Flight Form model. The reason trolls and worgen are getting new models is because they’re new to the druid class and have not yet received their own. (Source)’
A know a lot of you are here looking for this
As for the changes, it looks like they would like to get some final tweeks done. I have been informed by my roomate that the change to shape shifting is a buff not a nerf, that Hamstring and a few other spells were considered moment slowing spells not movement impairing or something to that likes. I assume that in this regard he knows what he is talking about.
As you can see Enrage is no taking away armor again [as it has been] I guess they didn’t like the ICC Tier Bonus being a thing for Feral Druids. And OH GOD WOULD YOU PLEASE USE THOSE MUSHROOMS is of course being pushed with almost every single PTR build.
For the absolute latest details as always MMO Champion and the likes are usually the first to deliver.
I think it should be interesting to note that with the exception of the Nefarion… Manipulation the top DPS in those raids has been Boomkins with feral Druids just not making show for some of this heroic data.